Do Any of These Questions Describe You?
New to the Onslow County/Jacksonville area and looking for a homeschool support group that provides a community that's easy to plug into?
New to homeschooling and need help getting started?
Is it a priority for your homeschooled children to be involved with others their own age?
Want to be part of an active homeschool community that enhances your academic and social goals for your children?
Look no further!! You've found what you're looking for!!
Agape Calendar of Events
Agape is an active group with a variety of events offered throughout the year. The types of events that we offer are listed below in the "About Us" link. Agape's Calendar of Events is not open to public viewing for the safety and protection of our members. Agape members can access the calendar with their personalized login and password. Not a member? Please check out the HS Community Calendar where we post community (public) happenings that may be of interest to a homeschooling family.
What's Agape All About?
As a homeschooler, there is a strong need of a sense of community that we can belong to and participate in as we teach and grow our children. Whether you're new to homeschooling or a veteran, Agape Leadership Development is here to meet the needs of your homeschooling family by facilitating relationships among homeschoolers, providing a reliable source of information, and offering events that replicate things that students would "miss" from public/private schools.
Membership in Agape Provides Access to:
- Informative Seminars for Parents
- Educational and Social Field Trips for All Grade Levels
- Holiday and Seasonal Events for All Grade Levels
- Annual Group Standardized Testing by Experienced Proctors
- Special Events for K-2nd Grade (Primary Pals)
- Special Events for Middle and High Schoolers (FLOC)
- Special Events for Moms
- Year-End Graduation/Promotion Ceremony for All Grade Levels
- Customizable and Secure Website
- Downloadable App
- One-on-One Homeschool Advising Services
- Homeschool Classifieds (Buy/Sell/Trade Locally)
- Collective Library of Internet Resources
Still have questions? Check out our FAQ link. We're here to help and we hope you'll join us!
Our Mission Statement
We exist to provide an accessible community built on Christian support and accountability to all home educators in Eastern NC with the purpose of unifying, encouraging, empowering, informing, and equipping.
Our Statement of Faith
We believe the Bible to be the inspired and only infallible written Word of God.
We believe that there is only One God, eternally existent in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
We believe that salvation is by grace alone, by believing in and accepting Christ as personal Savior. Salvation is only through the shed blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.
History of Agape
The idea behind Agape began in approximately 2004 as a handful of homeschooling families with an interest in their children spending more time together socially. Those first pioneers thought it was a good idea to combine efforts and travel to field trips and special events--together. How refreshing was the comradarie between not only the children, but the parents as well. Being together made us stronger and smarter, made our children happier, and made home education funner . . . more fun.
What do we name a special group like ours? It was decided that ultimately, what we were all doing was developing the leaders of tomorrow. The future pastors, congressmen, mothers, military officers, engineers, doctors, etc. were being groomed in our homes to carry the torch forward in our communities. This reality was the "Leadership Development" part. Now, what does it take to grow these future leaders in our homes when we, the parents, accept 100% of their education? It takes an unconditional, selfless love beyond all understanding . . . an Agape love. So, Agape Leadership Development it was.
As time went on, this "handful" of families invited more of their homeschooling friends, met more strangers in the grocery stores that turned out to be homeschoolers and invited them, and even influenced others that were "on the fence" to gather up the courage and begin homeschooling. After all, we had each other and we were better together. So, a handful turned into 50. Fifty turned into 300, which finally topped out at our record high of 650 families.
With the explosive popularity of homeschooling as parents increasingly lose faith in public eduation, our group has grown. In our growth, Agape had to be continually creative in the ways we communicated, planned events, accommodated newcomers in desperate need of guidance, and nurtured relationships. Admittedly, anticipating every need of the large number of members has been overwhelming at times, but we like to think that we've always worked hard to be a beacon in the homeschool community--not only for Agape members, but for all homeschooling families that are within our reach.
Today finds Agape stronger than ever. As we launch our new website, we can meet even more needs of even more homeschool families. The capabilities that are opened up to us through this tool will help us reach further than we've been able to in the past and the future looks so bright for us all. A rising tide raises all ships? Well, Friend, let's hoist our anchors and journey on . . . together. Come join us!
Fee Schedule for One-on-One Advising Services
One-on-One Advising Services are available at the following rates:
- $10 per half hour for face-to-face appointments with one advisor
- $15 per half hour for face-to-face appointments with both advisors
- $50 per subject for curriculum scheduling (Max. $250)
- $100 flat fee for transcript preparation
See One-on-One Advising for full details and/or to schedule an appointment.
Agape Board Members: Hard at Work for You
Click through these folks and learn more about those that volunteer to keep Agape going strong. This is a great way to put a face with the name.
Agape Founder: Carol Oakley
An Onslow County homeschooler with 16 years of experience, Carol has a passion for helping other families on their homeschooling journey. She homeschooled--AND graduated--both of her daughters for the duration of their education. The oldest daughter earned her BS in BioChemistry from Campbell University and her youngest daughter received her AS degree from Southeastern Community College and is currently attending Campbell University to pursue her degree in engineering.
Event Coordinator: Tiffany Rowe
Tiffany is a mom of two elementary children. She has homeschooled for five years and has been part of Agape the entire time. Tiffany feels that Agape has helped her grow as a homeschool mom and gives her a support group for what she does as far as schooling her children. She loves helping with the activities and events during the school year.
Haley is a mother of 5 and has been homeschooling for 6 years. She is married to a Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune. She has a passion for health, fitness, photography and serving in the church and local community. She has experienced firsthand the joy and blessings that come from being a part of Agape. This is her second year in the group and she is excited to meet, minister, and journey alongside other homeschooling families.
Maria is a mother of three beautiful girls. She has been homeschooling for three years and has been a part of Agape for the entirety of her homeschooling journey thus far. She is passionate about helping others understand the importance of homeschooling as she had firsthand experience at how public schools can have a negative effect on our children. She is very active in her church and loves how Agape facilitates ways for her children to develop life-long friendships.
Group Standardized Testing through Agape
The state of North Carolina requires homeschoolers to take a nationally standardized test each year. They also "suggest" that the test be proctored by a non-family member. Each spring, Agape Leadership Development offers testing in a group setting using the California Achievement Test by an experienced proctoring staff. This allows homeschoolers to adhere to the suggestion of having the test proctored by someone other than the administrator.
Agape's testing is available to all homeschoolers regardless of membership affiliation.
How Can I Participate In Agape's Testing?
Agape group testing is available to all homeschoolers. It is not necessary to be an Agape member to participate.
- Tests MUST be ordered through Agape Leadership Development in order to participate in the group testing.
- This is a timed test. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate special circumstances during testing.
- Each testing group has a maximum capacity of 25 students.
How Do I Register?: Registration is easy!
- Visit the Agape Calendar and click on the testing date(s) that match the testing level you desire. (If the test is for Level 1, 2, or 3, click on the first of the two days--only the first date will have the Sign Up link.)
- Follow the steps to Sign Up on the bottom of the event. Be sure to spell your student's name(s) the way you want it to appear on their test results. It is also important to select the grade level that your student will be ENTERING next year. For example, if they are currently a 5th grader, you would select "Entering Grade 6."
- Have multiple students in various levels? Repeat this process for each student.
2017 Testing Details
Ordering Deadline: Friday, April 1
Test Price: $40.00 per student for non-members or $35.00 per student for Agape members (price includes: test, grading, postage, and all supplies)
Testing Dates: Note that Levels 1, 2, & 3 are two-day tests over two consecutive days while Levels 4 and 5 will test one day only.
- April 24-25--Level 3 (Students entering grades 4, 5, & 6)
- April 26-27--Level 1 (Students entering grade 2)
- April 28--Level 5 (Students entering 10, 11, 12, & current seniors)
- May 1-2--Level 2 (Students entering grade 3)
- May 3--Level 4 (Students entering 7, 8, & 9)
Testing Times: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM (Please arrive no later than 8:45 AM. Ending time varies by testing level. This time will be adjusted closer to the actual testing dates.)
Location: Tar Landing Baptist Church
Methods of Payment:
- Paypal funds to firstname.lastname@example.org through the registration process on the Agape Calendar.
- Mail check to: Agape Leadership Development, 133 Oakley Trail, Jacksonville, NC 28540. Be sure payment arrives by the deadline of April 1st.